Our kitchens have got upgraded from time to time with the latest gadgets in the market. Every small and big electrical device has found a separate corner in our cooking lives, making it easier, quick, and convenient.
Similarly, today rice cookers are the ones replacing those traditional aluminium/steel pressure cookers. Rice cookers or electric rice cookers have become crucial cooking equipment for a lot of Indian households. Being quicker and efficient in every way than the traditional ones they are one of the most convenient and helpful kitchen appliances amongs’t many.
Today, in this article, we have brought you a list of 8 best rice cookers in India that will help you to pick one for your home without going out and choosing from a plethora of options.
The article gets further divided into two sections, make sure you go through the second section to get all the relevant information about the rice cookers.
How does rice cooker work?
An electric rice cooker works with almost a similar principle as the traditional ones but with a few steps differently. The rice and water are measured in the cooking bowl and then placed into the electric cooker for the cooking process. Here, when you plug in the appliance, a heating device inside starts heating up, taking the water in the pot to the boiling point. The boiling water then gets absorbed by the rice, making it soft, fluffy, and cooked. The lid on the top of the appliance keeps the steam from escaping.
Rice cookers are non-stick and automatic appliances, that sense the completion of the cooking process and shut-off the heating mechanism. Various rice cookers get equipped with a warm setting that besides shutting off the complete heat mechanism, brings it down to such low setting that gets enough to keep the food warm without getting it overcooked.
Best Rice Cookers in 2020
Prestige PRWO 1.0 Rice Cooker Red Colour
The Panasonic SR-Y18FHS automatic rice cooker cooks rice in very little time while keeping its nutrition value alike. It can cook 900 gm of raw rice in one go. This Panasonic rice cooker comes with a non-stick cooking pan that prevents food from getting stuck or burnt. Its auto cooking feature automatically cooks rice without any manual intervention required.
This large capacity cooker can keep the food items warm for up to 4 hours. Furthermore, its polycarbonate clear steaming basket lets you see all that’s cooking inside.
Panasonic SR-WA18 E Automatic Rice Cooker 4.4-Litre
The Panasonic SR-WA18 E automatic rice cooker is best for small or medium-sized Indian families. This rice cooker has got built with high-quality CRCA, food-grade material along with an extremely durable and safe to use stainless-steel lid. It also features two plastic build handles that keep your hands safe from any accidental burns.
This rice cooker is an energy-efficient appliance works on the minimal power consumption of 450-Watts. The rice cooker is itself very little and handy that one can easily lift it without any strain.
The Panasonic SR-Y18FHS automatic rice cooker cooks rice in very little time while keeping its nutrition value alike. It can cook 900 gm of raw rice in one go. This Panasonic rice cooker comes with a non-stick cooking pan that prevents food from getting stuck or burnt. Its auto cooking feature automatically cooks rice without any manual intervention required. This large capacity cooker can keep the food items warm for up to 4 hours. Furthermore, its polycarbonate clear steaming basket lets you see all that’s cooking inside.
Bajaj Majesty RCX 1 Mini Multifunction Rice Cooker 0.4-Litre
The Bajaj Majesty RCX 1 is a mini rice cooker that is lightweight and compact enough to carry along in trips along. This mini rice cooker can cook up to 0.4 kg of rice at a time, being suitable for bachelors as well as couples. The transparent top lid with this appliance lets you monitor the rice or other food items while the cooking process is going on.
This energy-efficient appliance consumes 200-Watt electricity, hence save a lot on your electricity bills. With easy and straightforward controls, this handy device becomes quite easy and convenient for use.
KENT Personal Rice Cooker 180-Watt 0.9-litres
The KENT personal Rice cooker, which looks like a lunchbox, is compact and portable enough to get carried along anywhere required. It can cook up to 0.9 kgs of rice in one single go, which makes it suitable for a small to medium family. It’s advance heating technology ensures every grain of rice and biryani cooks evenly every time.
This appliance comes with a cook delay feature that lets you set the desired time and leave the rest on the cooker. Lastly, you can clean it just by wiping a damp cloth.
Geek Robocook Automatic Electric Pressure Cooker 5 Litre
The Geek robocook automatic electric cooker is a modern-day appliance that offers 11 functions in one place. It comes with programmable intelligent cooking that automatically manages the time, heat, temperature, and pressure to simplify your efforts. The pre-set cooking menu gives you the convenience to cook all the displayed dishes just by selecting the options from the appliance itself. Its 5 litres inner pot allows you to cook daal, rice, soups, and even chicken without getting them stuck at the base. The Circumvent cooking process preserves all the nutrients and vitamins in your cooked pulses, vegetable, non-vegetarian food, etc.
Prestige Delight Electric Rice Cooker (700 watts)-2 Aluminium Cooking Pans 1.8 litres
The Prestige Delight electric rice cooker comes with an auto-control feature that automatically shifts to “keep warm” once the rice gets cooked. It features an additional cooking pan that can be stacked and stored in the cooker itself. This appliance gets built with double insulated body walls and cool touch easy-grip handles that make it easy to lift and carry around.
You can also use handle slot to place serving scoop and ladle. With 1.8 litres capacity (1 kg cooking capacity) and 700-Watt power usage, this appliance makes your kitchen experience quite convenient as well as inexpensive.
Preethi Touch EPC005 Electric Pressure Cooker 6-Liter
The Preethi touch EPC005 electric cooker is a multifunctional appliance that allows you to boil, cook, steam and even sauté in one place. This rice cooker features 15 pre-set Indian recipes, enabling you to prepare each of them without manually setting time, temperature, pressure, etc. All you need to do is press the required recipe button and let the rest on the appliance. Its nine safety levels control various aspects like power, pressure, and temperature. Unlike many other rice cookers, this particular model from Preethi allows both open and close lid cooking to the user. Once your cooking gets done, you can keep the food warm for 4 hours with the keep warm mode.
Things to keep in mind before buying a Rice cooker for your home
Rice is a staple food in India. No matter which state you reside in, every single day rice gets boiled in our kitchens. It could be boiled or spiced up as khichdi or upgraded as biryani. So, for cooking all these dishes in one single appliance, it is essential to know every aspect related to it.
Capacity in rice cookers resembles both cooking ability and the entire size of the device. A rice cooker should be big or small enough to fulfil your family’s requirements. The cooking capacity of a rice cooker refers to the raw rice before cooking. A one-litre cooker can cook about 400-500 gm of uncooked rice which can further double as per the cooking capacity of an appliance increase. You can always buy a rice cooker slightly bigger than your daily cooking needs as it may add to your convenience while you have guests in the house.
Power consumption gets determined by the number of watts a rice cooker uses to generate the cooking process. Rice cookers consume nearly 200 to 600-Watt power which may vary from model to model.
Features and specifications
The following are the feature one should search for in a rice cooker:
- Keep warm: Most of the rice electric rice cookers these days come with a keep warm feature. Within this feature, the food item stays warm up to 4-5 hours after the cooking process gets over.
- Digital display: Few of the high-end models features a digital display that shows you the cooking time, selected pre-set recipe, and about other features. It also alerts you about the time by which your meal will get ready.
- User-friendly controls: Rice cookers offer controls in the form of push-button, lever or one-touch control option. You should choose one with commands that are easily understood by you. One-touch display or feather touch button might be slightly tricky to know for a lot of people.
- Cool-touch handles: It is essential to have handles that are cool so that you can hold the appliance and serve from it efficiently. Make sure rice cookers have an insulated body so that your hands are safe from accidental burns.
- Pre-set menu: A few of the rice cookers feature a pre-set list that allows you to cook not just rice but pulao, biryani, rajma, daal or many such Indian dishes only by selecting the appropriate button/touch. Once you choose a pre-set recipe, the cooker itself set the desirable time required to cook that dish perfectly.
- Auto shut-off: A sensor present in the rice cooker automatically senses when the rice gets cooked and shut-off the cooking operations. This feature is available in almost all the models available in the market.
Rice cooker using tips
- Always use the measuring cups provided with the appliance to measure rice and water proportion. If not measuring cups, follow the scale mentioned inside the pot to fill the required water.
- Avoid being experimental and follow the user manual carefully.
- Keep the rice cooker away from wet surfaces.
- To clean odour and stink of non-veg food items or Indian spices from the cooking pot, boil a lemon water solution in the cooking pot. This will eliminate all the odour as well as loose out grease (if any left behind).
- For removing harsh residue, only use the detergent or solution advised by the brand.
- Never operate the rice cooker without the inner port.
- Do not use sharp objects like a knife or fork inside the cooking pot.
- Clean and wipe then air dry the rice cooker after every use. Regular maintenance increases the life span of such appliances.
All in all, the demand for rice cookers is rising day by day and so as the number of options in the market. We recommend you to go for a multifunctional model that allows you to cook several other dishes additional to plain rice in this appliance. Also, you can choose anyone from our list of 8 Best rice cookers in India above as per your budget, suitability, requirement, and choice.
We hope you will find all the products and information mentioned in this article helpful in your buying process.
For any queries, questions, and feedback, please leave your comment down below.
Read our related posts