Cleaning a Cleaner? Sounds strange, right? It would. Cleaning your “cleaner machines” such as washing machines, dishwashers, or even mops is a general practice one must regularly follow. And here the one we are going to discuss today is, “How to clean top loading washing machines”?
The top load washing machines are one of the most commonly used types of washing machines in India. While using it for a few months straight, you might have noticed some smells like one of your Gym clothes or damp walls. Also, a lot of us think that while we put a fragrant detergent and water in our washing machines, it will clean our clothes and keep the appliance also clean. However, this is not the case.
While you use your top-loading washing machine for cleaning your clothes squeaky clean, it does the part. After that, it takes all the dirt, grime, bacteria, mildew, and dirty soapy foam from your washing and settles it internally. So, this is why one must clean their top-loading washing machine at frequent intervals to keep it fresh and maintain its durability.
How to Clean “top-loading washing machines”?
- Hot water- A lot of it that can fill the machine almost till the top.
- Washing machine cleaning tablet/ powder/ liquid
- Microfibre cloth
- A soft toothbrush/ or a soft scrub
- White Vinegar/ Fabric whitener/ hydrogen peroxide
- Baking soda
Before you start, detach all the components in and out from your top-loading washing machine.
- Fill your top load washing machine one inch below the top edge with hot water (40-50-degree C). (You do not require to fill the hot water manually as you can do through the setting available in your machine).
- Add 3/4th cup or 50 ml of White vinegar/ Fabric whitener/ hydrogen peroxide. As fabric whitener works as a bleaching agent, it can help you remove stubborn dirt residues from the internal parts of the washing machine. However, we recommend you use White vinegar in the first place.
- Also, incorporate 2 spoons full of baking powder into the washing machine and set it on a 15 minutes timer. The heavy wash timer is best.
- After 15 minutes, once the cycle is done thoroughly, drain off all the water from the washing machine.
- Now fill the machine again with hot water (40-50-degree C) below one inch from the top edge. Here add the tablet/ powder/ liquid that is used explicitly for cleaning washing machines. You can also use the appliance de-scaler.
- Re-run the washing machine on the highest load setting for another 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, plug it off. (Make sure you do not drain the water).
- Now take a soft toothbrush or a soft scrub dipped in the same “baking powder + vinegar solution + water solution”. Gently run it over the entire tub to bring off any dirt residue. Take special care of the top edges and those small gaps between the wash drum and other washing machine parts.
- Once done, drain the water filed inside the washtub complete. You would notice a lot of scale and dirt washed off because of the washing machine cleaning detergent or de-scaling solution.
- Now for the last rinse, wash off the entire tub with cold and fresh running water.
- Again, with a microfibre cloth wipe-off the entire wash tub and let it sit for 30-60 minutes with the lid open. You can adjust the timing upon how quickly your washtub air-dries. Also, whenever you insert your hand inside the tub for any cleaning, make sure it is entirely plugged-off.
Cleaning procedure for the top load washing machine’s attachments and exterior.
We would require a few of the same ingredients as mentioned above.
- Take a big sized tub and fill it with lukewarm water, two spoons full of baking powder and 1/4th cup of white vinegar.
- Dip the washing machine attachments including pipe, washing tray, lint collector, and other if removable. Let them sit soaked for 15 minutes.
- Now with a soft toothbrush, scrub of all the stubborn dirt and scale from every corner.
- Once done, wash them under cold tap water.
- Let them air dry completely.
For cleaning the exterior and attached lid:
- Take a soft scrub, dip it in the “water + soap + White vinegar solution”. Scrub it all over the surface and lid area. Avoid using it near the open holes or joints at the backside of the machine.
- Once you are done, wipe it off with a clean microfibre cloth.
- Let it air dry completely for 30 to 60 minutes.
Tips for maintaining the freshness and durability of your top-loading washing machine
- Rinse your washtub with clean water after every time you use it.
- Wipe with a soft scrub and then rinse with lukewarm water every 15 days.
- Maintain a deep cleaning washing routine (as mentioned above) once in a month.
- Avoid using any solution (white vinegar, baking soda, washing tablets, etc.) more than once in a month. Any such component, when used in excess, can harm the plastic interiors.
- Rinse the lint filter after every 2-3 wash.
- Every time you operate the machine, air dry its drum entirely before putting on the lid.
- Keep your washing machine always on a stand so that it does not get affected by any water outsources.
- Wash and wipe off the detergent and fabric softener compartments periodically.
Following a deep cleaning routine, every month will keep the dirt, dust, bacteria, and scale build-up at bay. Not just that, but also regular cleaning of top load washing machines increases its durability and performance.
So, above were the top-loading washing machine tips and tricks that are tried and tested on a personal level. You can freely rely on them for whatever brand top load washing machine you own. Also, if in case you are not a frequent washing machine user and use it 3-4 times a month only, then you can follow the routine once in 2 months.
Check out our home page for more articles